Major Planning Firm Goes Public

AECom -- the Los Angeles based parent company of planning and design firm EDAW and a host of other development and engineering firms -- is continuing its consolidation.

"With a name like AECom Technology (NYSE:ACM) , it's easy to get mistaken for a communications or Internet business.

But those in the heavy construction industry know AECom as a leading design firm and provider of professional engineering and technical support services.

The Los Angeles company's name "throws a lot of people off," says Michael Burke, AECom's chief corporate officer and chief financial officer. AECom, pronounced "A-E- Com," stands for "Architectural Engineering, Consulting, Operations and Maintenance."

AECom went public May 10 at $20 a share and now trades near 26. It has averaged 35% year-over-year sales growth the last eight quarters, posting $3.421 billion in 2006.

The firm has been making acquisitions in a highly fragmented market. This year alone, it has purchased four companies involved in engineering, consulting and environmental projects."

"Many smaller, privately owned firms dominate the market, making it ripe for consolidation. The top 10 companies account for 32% of the $70 billion domestic market for design and engineering business. The remaining 490 companies in the top 500 control the other 68% of the market, according to D.A. Davidson & Co."

Full Story: Newly Public AECom Driving Consolidation

Comments

Book cover of the Guide to Graduate Planning Programs 4th Edition

Thinking about Grad School?

New! 4th Edition of the Planetizen Guide to Graduate Urban Planning Programs just released.
Starting at $24.95

Prepare for the AICP Exam

Join the thousands of students who have utilized the Planetizen AICP* Exam Preparation Class to prepare for the American Planning Association's AICP* exam.
Starting at $209

City Coasters

Hand-drawn engraved maps of your favorite neighborhoods are divided up across 4 coasters making each one unique.
$36.00
T-shirt with map of Chicago

Show your city pride

Men's Ultrasoft CityFabric© tees. Six cities available.
$23.00