BASIC FUNCTION: The Associate is a professional position within the District Council. As an integral part of the District Council team, the Associate serves as a professional liaison between the District Council, ULI headquarters, and Los Angeles real estate, planning and development professionals. Often times the Associate is the face of the ULI Los Angeles District Council – members call them first for assistance and information, so it is imperative that the Associate be courteous and friendly with and for whom they work. The position necessitates that the Associate be able to travel to District Council events and functions and work occasionally in the early mornings or evenings.
The Associate serves as an informed resource for District Council committees, interfacing with these committees to ensure that all work is consistent with ULI’s policies and procedures and that ULI Los Angeles’ goals and objectives are met. The Associate works closely with the Executive Director and Director to maintain administrative, financial and office operations of the Los Angeles District Council, including membership, sponsorship, programs, communications and community outreach.
- Manage and maintain District Council operations including but not limited to: supplies and equipment, files, databases, records, calendars, inventories, and other District Council resources and equipment and maintenance as needed.
- Manage distribution of all correspondence to members and non-members and assist with production.
- Work with the Marketing and Communications Committee to create, produce and manage distribution of District Council collateral materials.
- Respond to district council member/non-member requests via phone and email inquiries.
- Assist with membership related needs including membership welcome, orientation, retention, and recruitment strategies.
- Support standing committees and other working groups as needed.
- Assist with programs and event planning.
- Work with the Director and Executive Director in the preparation of budgets and recertification plans.
- Access member and non-member records to create analyses for membership, sponsorship, attendance and budget patterns for forecasting short- and long-term goals.
- Administer NetForum input from and reporting to the District Council, including, but not limited to: committee assignments, complimentary event passes for registration of members of the press, speakers, sponsors and other dignitaries.
- Support District Council event tasks, both for set-up and production and with tasks during and following events, such as securing and working with the venue, printing and processing name badges, mailing thank you letters, and handling prior and on-site registrations, final registration of attendees, post-event “tally sheets” and processing event-specific invoices.
- Assist in developing and maintaining vendor relationships, sourcing appropriate suppliers for catering, audio-visual equipment or information technology in support of District Council events.
- Update the District Council website, utilizing ULI’s content management systems, including but not limited to: marketing for upcoming events, news related to District Council initiatives, members in the news, and other pertinent activities.
- Produce upcoming event e-newsletters and the Urban LAndsdcape, a monthly e-newsletter promoting upcoming District Council events.
- Track expenses to improve budgetary performance.
- Process and manage accounts payable and receivable for all activities associated with the District Council, including but not limited to sponsorships, programs, membership, community outreach, book orders, supplies, etc.
- Perform other administrative, marketing and communications duties and projects as required, to contribute to a team effort.
Maintains daily relationship with, and reports to the ULI Los Angeles District Council Executive Director, and work directly with other District Council staff and at ULI headquarters, and disseminate information to applicable parties and departments, including membership, meeting production, finance and customer service teams.
Daily direct work with ULI members, including certain Advisory Board members serving in key committee leadership positions, members, member firms, sponsors, prospects, vendors, collaborative partner organizations, and consultants.
- BA/BS required and related nonprofit internship experience strongly preferred.
- 1-3 years work experience preferred
- Proven project and operation management skills, including the ability to creatively solve problems and simultaneously manage multiple tasks and projects.
- Use of personal vehicle may be required for local travel.
- Proven meeting and event coordination skills. Ability to attend early morning and evening events is required.
- Demonstrated proficiency/skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook), Adobe and PowerPoint. Knowledge of and competency with graphics, illustrator, or communications software a plus. Familiarity and proficiency with web-based tools, such as content management systems or internet-based tools for updating and publishing content to dynamic website.
- Professional oral and written communication and interpersonal skills to work with senior business and public sector executives.
- Aptitude for financial management and budgeting with an outstanding attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and handle multiple tasks concurrently and completely with responsible follow-through.
- Ability to initiate tasks and assume responsibility, and to work with minimal supervision in a high production position.
- Aptitude for thorough and precise financial management – budgeting and reporting.
- Adaptability and ability to provide courteous customer service and professional relationships with coworkers in a fast-paced environment.
- Self-motivated, demonstrating meticulous attention to both details and deadlines.
- Ability to travel to ULI Los Angeles events throughout the region and occasionally to ULI meetings in other locations.
How to apply:
Please submit your resume and letter of interest to email@example.com Please indicate that you are applying for the “LA Associate” position. The Urban Land Institute is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.