Senior Regional Planner
Houston-Galveston Area Council
Posted on: Nov 29, 2012
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Senior Regional Planner works as part of the Community and Environmental Planning Department, developing key components of the Regional Plan for Sustainable Development (RPSD). Work involves developing implementation strategies, performance results, communication resources and working with local officials, staff and other stakeholders. Works under minimum to moderate supervision.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
1. Leads strategic planning and development of key tasks of the RPSD, including developing implementation strategies, funding and policy recommendations, public engagement and the plan review process.
2. Develops mechanisms for soliciting support for the RPSD, including communication with key leaders and local officials.
3. Assists with project management, reporting and documentation of the RPSD, including managing sub-grants and contracts, progress reports, meeting reports, and interim other work products as needed.
4. Researches, organizes, interprets, and analyzes data and performance measures, and establishes a monitoring process for the RPSD.
5. Analyzes alternate funding mechanisms for proposed implementation strategies and determines appropriateness for urban, suburban, rural, and coastal communities.
6. Helps design format and provides facilitation and support for technical, policy, and interagency planning meetings, webinars and public meetings.
7. Researches federal and state regulations, policies, procedures, and legislation related to RPSD implementation.
8. Performs related work as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Masters Degree with an emphasis in Urban and Regional Planning, Sustainability, or related field.
2. Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in planning, sustainability, or related field. Experience with project management and adoption of plans preferred.
3. AICP preferred.
4. Strong written and oral communication skills, experience communicating with policy officials, key stakeholders and the public.
5. Familiarity with local and regional planning methods and techniques.
6. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
7. Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
8. Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language, including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
9. Ability to work independently.
10. Ability to work as a team player on multiple projects.
11. Strong analytical and research skills are required.
12. Ability to prioritize and organize work.
Level 7, Professional III ($50,388 - $80,782)
Copyright © 2000-2013 Urban Insight. All Rights Reserved