The City of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta Canada
Posted on: Nov 7, 2012
The City of Calgary Career Opportunity
Closing date: Nov. 26, 2012
The position will be involved in the planning of growth, development and design of Calgary's new communities. Visit calgary.ca/careers for complete position details or to apply online. Primary duties include:
• Manage Outline Plan and Land Use Amendment applications, including evaluating site planning and design.
• Review, analyze, evaluate and make recommendations on complex planning applications, and manage the circulation, team review and evaluation of planning applications.
• Negotiate with applicants to provide decisions that balance corporate goals and objectives and achieve high quality urban/community design.
• Review, research, write and present reports for Outline Plan and Land Use Amendment applications, and make recommendations to the Calgary Planning Commission and City Council.
• Respond to inquiries from aldermen, management and the general public with respect to planning applications and policies.
Applicant must possess a degree in Planning recognized by the Canadian Institute of Planners, or a related degree, plus six years of progressively more responsible and varied experience in the profession. Eligibility for membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP) is required. Applicants must demonstrate the following competencies:
– Experience in an urban municipality; proven track record; sound judgement and creative problem solving skills; experience in review and implementation of community design; and the ability to effectively negotiate and bring about good solutions.
– Familiarity with relevant legislation; demonstrated community design skills; and superior planning analysis techniques.
– Proven leadership skills; the ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically verbally and in writing with a broad range of people and higher orders of government.
NOTE: Through the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), qualified Americans are able to work in Canada with a NAFTA visa (subject to annual renewal). Find information on NAFTA eligibility and process online at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/special-business.asp#nafta.
Copyright © 2000-2013 Urban Insight. All Rights Reserved